We are all very excited for the upcoming ASLA Annual Meeting in Boston! This past year, digital technologies have greatly modified the way we do business, and many of these new technologies will be featured at this year’s Annual Meeting. Outlined below are a few of our favorite picks for educational sessions and vendor booths to stop by and learn a thing or two. The education offerings span the spectrum from hand-drawn graphic integration, to CAD, to 3D technologies, to Geodesign—a hot topic for this year.
I hope that everyone attending the Annual Meeting will also join us at the PPN Networking Reception on Friday, November 15 at 5:15pm, and the Digital Technology PPN Meeting on Sunday, November 17 at 9:15am. At the Reception on Friday, I will have a special guest: Nicholas Phelps, CEO and president of e-on software, makers of Vue, LumenRT, and Plant Factory. At the PPN Meeting on Sunday morning, we will discuss our PPN’s goals for the upcoming year, have a new technologies roundtable, and, time permitting, I will do a live demonstration of the first generation of Plant Factory, a software released last month.
Recommended Digital Technology Education Sessions
Below are sessions and meetings for those interested in maximizing their digital technology learning experience at the Annual Meeting.
Friday, November 15
- 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM, FRI-B08 Moving Environments and Dynamic Possibilities
- 1:30 – 3:00 PM, FRI-C04 Assessing the Impact of Landscape Designs on Ecosystem Services and Human Health
- 5:15 – 7:15 PM, PPN Networking Reception
Saturday, November 16
- 8:00 – 9:00 AM, Geodesign and the Emerging GIS Platform with Jack Dangermond, Suzanne Foss, and Eric Wittner of Esri
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM, SAT-A05 Capture, Create, and Convey with HD Laser Scanning and Other New 3D Technologies
Here is my shameless self-promotion: we have a spectacular line up of Daniel Tal reviewing the new features of SketchUp 2013, me (David Leonard) presenting on my favorite visualization products and updates from the past year, as well as Brian Laird and Donnie Longenecker presenting on HD Laser Scanning and providing a live demonstration by scanning the audience. We did it in my office and it is very cool!
Sunday, November 17
- 9:15 – 10:00 AM, Digital Technology PPN Meeting
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM, SUN-A06 Drawing: Lost & Found
Monday, November 18
- 10:00 – 11:30 AM, MON-B03 GeoDesign: A New “Old” Approach to Design
Recommended Vendor Booths
- ARCOM – MasterSpec Specifications, Booth 1617
- Brightman-Tal, Booth 2326
- CADdetails, Booth 1721
- Esri, Booth 529
- Land F/X, Booth 1337
- Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc., Booth 2114
- Rockustics, Inc., Booth 627
- SketchUp, Booth 2327
I can’t wait to see all of you at 5:30pm on Friday, November 15 for the PPN Networking Reception, at 9:00am on Sunday, November 17 for our PPN Meeting, and lots in between!
by David Leonard, AICP, ASLA, LEED GA, Digital Technology PPN Chair