ASLA is now accepting proposals for the 2018 Annual Meeting and EXPO education program, taking place October 19-22, 2018 in Philadelphia. If you are interested in presenting and sharing your knowledge with the landscape architecture profession, we encourage you to submit a proposal through our online submission site.
The goal of the annual meeting education program is to provide professional development opportunities which address the diversity of practice types in the profession. Help to ensure your voice is heard and your practice area is represented by submitting a proposal!
In order to successfully submit a presentation for consideration, the following items are needed for each presentation: speaker names with a biography, a session title, marketing statement, learning objectives, outline, and sources. Submissions should speak to panel diversity and audience engagement. Additionally, all presenters must sign the speaker terms and agreement prior to the January 31 submission deadline.
Please visit the submission site for detailed information, including speaker policies, tactical tips, sample submission materials, and a timeline of the selection process.
ASLA members are invited to log in to the online system using their unique ASLA ID.
- Education Session – Panel Format: One moderator facilitates a discussion between 1-3 panelists (50-60 minutes of presentation followed by 30 minutes of Q&A, total time = 90 minutes), with no more than four presenters.
- Education Session – Presentation Format: 1-3 speakers who co-present (50-60 minutes of presentation followed by 30 minutes of Q&A, total time = 90 minutes), with no more than three presenters.
- Field Session: Multiple speakers offer education combined with a field experience. NOTE: Field sessions are organized through the host chapter committee leaders. Please contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org to let them know you are submitting a field session. See the Field Session Planning Parameters for more information.
Submission Evaluation and Selection
The selection process for the ASLA Annual Meeting education program is competitive. Only 1 in 4 presentations will be selected. The ASLA Annual Meeting Education Advisory Committee (AMEAC) will review, evaluate, and score submissions using the following criteria:
- Relevance to the profession of landscape architecture
- Clearly stated and achievable learning objectives
- Timeliness of the topic
- Subject matter appeal
- Appropriate audience type and expertise level (intermediate, advanced)
- Speaker qualifications and diversity
The ASLA Annual Meeting and EXPO Education Program
The Annual Meeting and EXPO will take place October 19–22, 2018 in Philadelphia at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. More than 6,000 attendees are expected, and the meeting will feature a diverse spectrum of industry experts providing perspectives on a wide range of subjects, from sustainable design to active living to best practices and new technologies.
More than 130 education sessions, field sessions, and workshops will be presented during the meeting, providing attendees with the opportunity to earn up to 21 professional development hours under the Landscape Architecture Continuing Education System™ (LA CES™).
Many of the sessions will also qualify for continuing education credit with the Green Business Certification Inc. (toward SITES® AP and LEED AP credential maintenance), the American Institute of Architects, the American Institute of Certified Planners, and other allied professional organizations and state registration boards.
ASLA Online Learning & Annual Meeting Education Session Recordings
ASLA Online Learning presentations provide information on new and evolving practices and techniques. These distance learning opportunities are also a convenient and affordable way to earn Professional Development Hours (PDH) needed to meet state licensure requirements. PDH are approved by the Landscape Architecture Continuing Education System™ (LA CES™) and can be earned after viewing a presentation by completing and passing a self-study exam. Be sure to check state mandatory continuing education requirements to ensure that LA CES courses are compatible with your state requirements.
In addition to education session recordings, ASLA Online Learning also includes:
- The Professional Practice Network (PPN) Online Learning series,
- The Student & Emerging Professionals SPOTLIGHT mini-series,
- Sustainable SITES Initiative® (SITES®) Education, and
- Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE) Prep.
Browsing among these presentations is now easier than ever, with 22 topic areas to choose from, including: Accessibility/ADA, Ecology and Restoration, International Practice, Project Management, Resilient Design, Transportation/Complete streets, and more.
Webinar prices for ASLA members, Associate ASLA members, and Student ASLA members are discounted at least 75% below non-member prices. Sign in with your existing ASLA member ID and password to receive the member discount.
Live ASLA Online Learning Presentations
ASLA Online Learning also provides the opportunity to tune in live to ask experts questions, while earning PDH, through the Professional Practice Network (PPN) Online Learning series. Live presentations take place throughout the year, and are recorded and made available for on-demand viewing after the live event.
The next live presentations are coming up on December 12 and December 18, 2017:
Creative Goal Setting for Women – 1.0 PDH (LA CES/non-HSW)
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
3:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. (Eastern)
Hosted by the Women in Landscape Architecture PPN
Truly Inclusive? The Reward of Thrill in Universal Play Designs – 1.0 PDH (LA CES/HSW)
Monday, December 18, 2017
12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. (Eastern)
Hosted by the Children’s Outdoor Environments PPN
Questions about ASLA Online Learning? Please contact us at email@example.com.