The conference education program provides professional development opportunities that address the diversity of practice types and cross-sector collaborations most relevant to the practice of landscape architecture today. If you are interested in presenting and sharing your knowledge with the landscape architecture profession, please submit a proposal through our online system. Proposals must be submitted by Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
New Session Formats for 2019
60- or 75-Minute Education Session
The standard education session with 50/60 minutes of presentation followed by 10/15 minutes of Q&A, maximum three speakers.
90-Minute Education Session
Education session with 60 minutes of presentation followed by 30 minutes of Q&A, maximum three speakers.
Professional Practice Network (PPN) Education Session
PPNs represent the major practice areas within the landscape architecture profession and provide networking and mentorship opportunities. A PPN session is a 60- or 75-minute session with 50/60 minutes of presentation followed by 10/15 minutes of Q&A. Up to four sessions will be selected. PPN sessions must be submitted and delivered by at least one member of the selected PPN. See more information on PPN sessions below.
Deep Dive Session
In-depth, three-hour technical programs that dig deep into specific landscape architecture topics.
Introducing Professional Practice Network (PPN) Education Sessions
New for 2019: members of ASLA’s PPNs are invited to submit a proposal for a PPN education session, emphasizing your particular practice area within the landscape architecture profession, and providing a forum to make connections outside your market. Up to four proposals will be selected for one-hour sessions with a maximum of three speakers. At least one member of the selected PPN must be included in the proposal.
We encourage you to submit a presentation of your own and to reach out to members of your PPN to develop a presentation proposal. Consider the unique view on the profession your fellow PPN members have to offer!
Collaboration is Key
Use the resources below to make connections, coordinate proposals, and network with potential speakers:
- PPN Member Directory: Each PPN member directory is available online. Log into your ASLA account to search the directory for members of your PPN. Available information includes member names, firm, and city/state.
- PPN Leaders: Interested in submitting a proposal idea to the PPN leadership team to help develop content or curate a panel? Contact your PPN chairs with your idea!
- Google Group: To coordinate proposals and network with potential speakers, we encourage you to use the CFP Google group.
The 2018 post-annual meeting survey captured the education topics of most interest to attendees. Below are the top ten topics. How might these topics relate to your PPN focus area and inform a proposal that reflects emerging trends, new ideas, and engaging learning?
- Ecological Restoration / Remediation / Brownfields
- Sustainable Design
- Urban Design / Downtown Revitalization
- Stormwater Management
- Climate Resiliency
- Plants and Soils
- Sustainable Amenity Design
- Parks / Recreation / Play / Sports Facility Design
- Sustainable Products and Materials
- Development Trends
We’re excited to offer this continuing education opportunity to PPN members! ASLA Professional Practice staff is available to answer questions about how to connect with fellow PPN members while developing your submission ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please limit the number of submissions to three per submitter.
- Speakers will be asked to verify that they were submitted on no more than three sessions.
- Landscape architecture professionals (graduates of accredited landscape architecture programs) wishing to present at the Conference on Landscape Architecture need to be active members of ASLA.
- Allied professionals are encouraged to both submit presentations and speak but are not required to be members of ASLA.
- Education session speakers selected from this process will receive a full complimentary registration to the Conference on Landscape Architecture and may also be eligible for reimbursement for one night’s hotel stay at an official ASLA hotel (estimated $750 value).
The selection process for the Conference on Landscape Architecture Education Program is competitive. Only 1 in 4 presentations will be selected. The ASLA Annual Meeting Education Advisory Committee (AMEAC) reviews, evaluates, and scores submissions using the following criteria:
- Relevance to the profession of landscape architecture
- Clearly stated and achievable learning outcomes
- Timeliness of the topic
- Subject matter appeal
- Appropriate audience type and expertise level (intermediate, advanced)
- Speaker qualifications
- Panel equity, diversity, and inclusion
ASLA Online Learning presentations provide information on new and evolving practices and techniques. These distance learning opportunities are also a convenient way to earn professional development hours (PDH) needed to meet state licensure requirements. PDH are approved by the Landscape Architecture Continuing Education System™ (LA CES™) and can be earned after viewing a presentation by completing and passing a short exam. Check state mandatory continuing education requirements to ensure that LA CES™ courses are compatible with your state requirements.
Webinar prices for ASLA members, Associate ASLA members, and Student ASLA members are discounted at least 75% below non-member prices. Sign in with your existing ASLA username and password to receive the member discount.
Live ASLA Online Learning Presentations
ASLA Online Learning also provides the opportunity to tune in live to ask experts questions, while earning PDH, through the Professional Practice Network (PPN) Online Learning series. Live presentations take place throughout the year, and are recorded and made available for on-demand viewing after the live event.
Fourteen presentations took place in 2018 and are now available as recordings. The next live presentations will be in January 2019. Stay tuned for announcements of upcoming presentations in the new year!