With the conclusion of Black History Month, ASLA would like to highlight ways to stay engaged year round with our efforts to continue fostering diversity, equity and inclusion within our profession, membership, and leadership; mirror the communities we serve; welcome and serve all people and communities; and treat them fairly and equitably.
ASLA Diversity Summit
Since 2013 ASLA has convened an annual diversity summit to strengthen its focus on the recruitment underrepresented populations into academic programs and development of emerging professionals as practitioners. Visit ASLA’s Diversity Summit webpage to learn about this popular event, access resources, and view a summary of action items identified in 2018 to help achieve five-year goals established at the 2017 Super Summit. The 2019 Diversity Summit is scheduled for May 17-19, 2019 at ASLA headquarters.
Career Discovery and Diversity
Exposure and access are key to motivating the career aspirations of all students, and ASLA is boosting its commitment to provide more career discovery resources that promote landscape architecture. Below are a few highlights of ASLA rich collection of career discovery resources available to educators, families and students:
- Career Discovery and Diversity PowerPoint Slides for educators and volunteers,
- Your Path to Landscape Architecture, which hosts “Diverse Voices,” two videos sharing unique perspectives from professionals in the field,
- Tools for Teachers, which includes lessons plans, case studies and hands-on activities
- Activity Books, available digitally in English and Spanish, and
- YOUR LAND, available digitally and in print upon request.