A vibrant community of volunteers are the heart of ASLA’s culture of collaboration: the Society is “devoted to the encouragement of volunteerism and benefiting from the expertise and creativity of members who give their time and energies to advance the Society and the profession.” The ASLA Outstanding Service Award program recognizes ASLA member volunteers who are making notable contributions to or on behalf of the Society at the national level.
In memory of the late Mary Hanson, Hon. ASLA, and her 20 years of service to the Society and profession as ASLA’s corporate secretary, each year we present Outstanding Service Awards to volunteers whose dedication goes above and beyond the call of duty. The Society could not function without the selfless work of volunteers in every chapter and at the national level.
ASLA trustees, committee and PPN chairs and members, ASLA representatives, and other volunteers involved in the work of the Society at the national level are eligible for the award.
Recipients have included:
- 2019: David Cutter, ASLA, and April Westcott, ASLA
- 2018: Lisa Horne, ASLA, and Thomas Nieman, FASLA
- 2017: Joni Emmons, Associate ASLA, Patricia O’Donnell, FASLA, and Jean Senechal Biggs, ASLA
- 2016: Daniel Martin, Hon. ASLA, and Emily O’Mahoney, FASLA
- 2015: James D. Burnett, FASLA, Stephanie Rolley, FASLA, and Chris Stevens, ASLA
- 2014: Dean Hill, ASLA, Christine Pattillo, FASLA, Juanita Shearer-Swink, FASLA, and David Yocca, FASLA
- 2013: Eugenia Martin, FASLA, Dalton LaVoie, ASLA, Bill Kuhl, FASLA, Timothy Toland, ASLA, and Dick Powell, FASLA
ASLA celebrates recipients for exemplary service on the Society’s behalf at the ASLA Conference on Landscape Architecture, when the awards are presented by ASLA’s president. Each recipient also receives a complimentary annual conference registration, which he or she may use or may donate to a student or emerging professional.
The 2020 call for nominations for the ASLA Outstanding Service Award program is open now through September 25. Nominations may be made by members of the Executive Committee, committee chairs, PPN chairs, and ASLA national staff. Please contact email@example.com if interested in submitting a nomination.
Thank you to all the volunteers who help make ASLA the creative, constructive, effective force we are in every corner of the country!