by Christine Colley, RLA, ASLA
TRB Standing Committee on Landscape and Environmental Design Call for Posters for the Transportation Research Board 103rd Annual Meeting – January 7-11, 2024 in Washington, D.C.
The Transportation Research Board (TRB)’s Standing Committee on Landscape and Environmental Design (AKD40) invites researchers, students, academics, and practitioners to develop posters to be considered for publication and/or presentation at TRB’s 2024 Annual Meeting.
AKD40 welcomes posters on completed and on-going projects from broad landscape and environmental design areas such as Green Streets, roadside environments for pollinators, Complete Streets, transportation design impacts on Main Streets, landscape design to safeguard the public, and art in transportation.
The deadline for submissions is September 15, 2023.
The Committee is concerned with design parameters that relate to protecting, conserving, restoring, and enhancing safe, sustainable, and livable transportation systems, facilities, and their associated environments. The Committee promotes research to advance design principles and practices that enhance:
- safety and traveler experiences,
- scenic, aesthetic, and visual quality,
- harmonious integration of facilities within their natural, cultural, and social environments,
- sustainable solutions and systems, and
- the quality of life for transportation system users and surrounding communities.
Topics identified by the AKD40 Committee as being critical areas of research include:
- Energy and Sustainability – design, policies, and practices to protect the planet.
- Policy needs related to the roadside environment and autonomous vehicle technology.
- Resilience and Security – preparing for floods, fires, storms, and sea level rise.
- Transformational technologies that will change how transportation environments could be retrofitted or rebuilt.
- Roadside design to serve growing and shifting populations.
Poster Session Details:
Poster sessions run for approximately 3 hours in the mornings (9:30 a.m. to noon), afternoons (2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m), or evenings (7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m) depending on how they are selected by TRB.
- Applicant’s name and organization
- Applicant’s address
- Applicant’s email address
- Poster title and brief description/abstract containing full title; primary/secondary presenter names(s) with current contact information (organization, address, title, phone, email); concise statement of the project or study objective; results or outcomes; project significance or implications; recommended future research (500 words max.).
How to Submit:
Submit applications and any questions to Christine Colley, TRB AKD40 Annual Meeting Poster Coordinator, at Christine.Colley@dot.ny.gov.
Christine Colley, RLA, ASLA, is a Senior Landscape Architect at the New York State Department of Transportation, Committee Member of the TRB Standing Committee on Landscape and Environmental Design (AKD40), and is The Field editor for ASLA’s Transportation Professional Practice Network (PPN).